twelve nevers (28/8/24)

aside

I’ve been wondering, yes, my brain has been at work again, wondering about the twelfth of never, a phrase, or line, which comes from a 1956 song entitled, you guessed it, “The Twelfth of Never”, and ever since I first heard it, it’s puzzled me, not least because I still have no idea when the twelfth of never is, like, has it already happened, is it still to come, does it occur regularly, those kind of ponderings… also, can I assume there’s also a thirteenth of never, and a fourteenth, and so on, not to mention that surely therefore there must be eleven more nevers before it… is it even a when, could it be a where?… or is, as it alludes, never, as in never, thus rendering the twelfth of it irrelevant, surplus to requirements, and why single out the twelfth?… I’m still puzzled… and as a single it wasn’t even the a-side, it was the b-side, so maybe I should have written this in my ‘beside’ slot of this blog, the b-side to a song entitled “Chances Are”… chances are the twelfth of never is never, or situated, time or place, in some quantum realm, which is fairly mind-bending for what is essentially a pop song… and it ends with, “until the twelfth of never, and that’s a long, long time”… how would you know how long it is if you don’t know when or where it is… how long is a piece of string, how long is the twelfth of never?……

beside

I saw my first Christmas decorations this year for sale, and I wasn’t hallucinating, and yes, it's still August, only 118 days to go!... repeat after me, "I must, I must, I must buy tinsel, gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme tinsel"......

seaside

psst… I’m actually a superhero, but don’t tell anyone, it’s between me and you……

© 2024 robert greig

Comments