piggy in the middle (17/4/24)

aside

I’ve never understood why toast racks exist… of course I know they’re to hold toast, as the name suggest, a rack for toast, simple, but also pointless, as there’s nothing better than a toast rack for ensuring your toast goes cold faster than it would on a plate, and even more so when there are several slices sitting there being that it’s impossible to eat fast enough to ensure they are all still warm enough by the last one, a habit that seems traditional in so many guest houses, hotels and B&B’s… when I have toast at home I have one slice at a time, this is for two reasons mainly, one being I’m not sure I’ll want another afterwards, and secondly, if I do have another then I want it to remain warm for as long as it tastes to eat it and thus not have it sat there while I’m busy hurriedly munching down the first in the vain hope that by the time I get to the second that it’ll still be warm… and I know one can still eat cold toast but , you see, I prefer my toast warm, hence for me one of the prime motives for tasting it in the first place… but I digress, having not intended to rant about my misgivings with regard to ones enjoyment of said bread product, and don’t even get me started on porridge and most people’s complete lack of understanding as to what makes a perfect bowl of it… instead I was going to talk about ‘piggyback’, the climbing on the shoulders of someone, not unlike a backpack, basically, something or someone sitting on the back of another something or someone, and so I will, and it’s nothing to do with pigs, the word derives from ‘pickaback’, broken down into ‘pick’ and ‘back’, or ‘pack’, with ‘pick’ having etymological links with ‘pitch’, and word with a multitude of meanings and possibilities but in this context compared with the throwing definition, so, in the case of pickaback, or piggyback, to throw onto your back, with the word ‘back’ can easily be transmuted to ‘pack’, all-in-all a bit of a tortuous mystery as to how ‘pickaback’ actually became a word in its own right, while more easily is why it’s become ‘piggyback’, being that the consonants run more smoothly as such, and if said quickly usually comes out phonetically as ‘piggy-’ instead of ‘picka-‘ … the word’s even undergone further mutation and reduction, in that simply ‘piggy’ is not unusually used as a shorthand for the very act of piggyback… and here we are, nothing at all to do with pigs, nor even carrying one on your back, which would be rather an odd thing to do as I’d imagine the pig would think so too……

 beside

shock, horror, eek!... just saw my first advert advertising for Christmas 2024 at a hotel… eek!

seaside

I think today is malfunctioning…

© 2024 robert greig

Comments