sproutility (20/3/24)

aside

today is the equinox, the spring equinox, or ‘vernal’ equinox, latin for almost literally meaning, ‘to sprout spring’… equinox itself meaning, ‘equal night’… isn’t ‘sprout’ a brilliant word, which itself comes from various sources, all meaning to sprawl or spread, or sometimes just for a pole… although, even though it’s officially the beginning of astronomical spring today, on the day itself, as in today, day and night are only nearly equal, but not quite, as the equinox itself is a moment in time, that moment having been today (20th March) at 3:06am, the very moment the sun is positioned exactly above the equator, a moment which for where I am, on a further northerly latitude to the equator meant that actual equal day and night hours happened a few days earlier at a moment called, the ‘equilux’, meaning, as may now seem obvious, equal light … I hope you got all that as there’ll be a test later…… meanwhile, in the southern hemisphere it is, of course, all upside down because everything in the southern hemisphere is, as we all know to be, upside down, hence why we refer to it as “down under”… unless you’re a flat-earther whereas anyone who lived down under would have long fell off the planet long ago as there wouldn’t as such be a southern hemisphere (remember, there’s a test later…)… so, on such a day what should I do to mark it?... well, I could wear flowers in my hair, which would be tricky being I’m bald, or, sacrifice a hare, which might also be tricky because, as I’ve just mentioned, my hair was sacrificed years ago, or, I could watch the sun rise for I’ve already missed having woke up after it did so… seems I may be out of options, especially most spring-like frolics are reserved for easter, which isn’t yet, and I have not a single chocolate egg to prove it, so, I will bring this wordy amble to a close by saying that spring here will last for about 92.8 days, and how do I know this?.. I just do, take it as read, especially as you’ve just read it……

beside

I’m not too tall when I bend down……

© 2024 robert greig

Comments