Sunday, 13 August 2017

bye'steddfod, 13/August/17

I got two free pens....
and a stick-it notepad from the Eisteddfod....... and a memory of mini-moshers, three and four year olds dancing, or more accurately uncontrollably gamboling and waving their limbs uncontrollably in a front of a stage while bands performed....... I even spoke to no less than the National Poet of Wales.... albeit briefly.... who wore wellies and was sipping a lime cocktail with who knows what else in while he was M.C.'ing the poetry picnic...... in a shed.........
other gems from my last day of my first ever National Eisteddfod of Wales on Anglesey a mere 3 miles from home was a ukulele singer, Lisa Angharad and her band at Y Bws, The Bus, which was well, a bus, in a field, hemmed in by hay bales and graffiti....... definitely Calan, a la folk music band, and clogging...... most definitely Plu, twice!... a band of very cool sounds and voices.... another of two days ago (feels like a lifetime now!) was Nantgarw, another musical revelation of folk music also with a bit of clogging.... and an unexpected outdoor play I think though not entirely sure about landscapes and those who worked and scarred them...... impromptu band outside the Sinemaes, a cinema, in a tent, very wild west....... well this is the west of Wales after all....... I indulged again my tendency for crwydro, wandering with little aim, following some but not a lot of what unfolded around me being I'm not Welsh and this being a festival of Welsh arts and culture......
however long I'm here in Cymru I'll never belong... even if I ever do vaguely master the language it's clear and often made clear it's not my place, my 'world'....... I am 'other', wherever I lay my hat this is my lot..... nevertheless, I have two free pens and a stick-it note pad, and a camera overflowing with photos and indulged in innumerable coffees... coffee, coffee, coffi!


© robert greig 2017

No comments: