Thursday, 20 July 2017

ants! 20/July/17

ants!
not in my pants
nor are my pants on fire........
ants in my skirting!... no, that's not a euphemism.......... it was like a scene from a horror movie akin to "The House that Bled"........ in my case, ants!
not just ants but flying ants too, cheeky monkeys.... although they weren't monkeys, they were ants, so I should thanks my lucky stars it wasn't a plague of monkeys hatching from the skirting and walls, now THAT would be weird.......... as it was it was just a wtf! moment..........
I blame the storm, well, the humidity anyway....... even without moving an inch my skin felt sticky.... anyway, nothing like an impending thunderstorm borne of unbearable heat to entice ants to fly and in my case emerge from the skirting boards while others ran around frantically across the floor under the carpet, even popped out of the tiniest of cracks so tiny I'd not noticed them, cracks not big enough for anything to squeeze through, except perhaps and in fact ants.......... ahhhhhhhhh!
now don't get me wrong, I am a naturalist and environmentalist and probably a few other 'ists on top and I fully understand the place of ants in the ecosystems web of life, but...... not in my house and definitely not flying ones........... that just adds insult to injury........
and here I was sans ant-powder so I scrabbled around for something, anything, and found to my surprise and relief Olbas oil worked a treat...... as far as I know didn't actually kill them although I'm sure they weren't happy bunnies (although they were ants and not rabbits, good lord, rabbits erupting from the skirting!) but it did have a desired effect as a deterrent.... they retreated from everywhere I covered in it..... excellent......... of course it does mean my house now reeks to high-heaven of Olbas but at least I'll have wonderfully clear sinuses.........


ps..... I did find one ant in my pants soon after who was rapidly evicted......

© robert greig 2017

1 comment:

Martin Kloess said...

This is full of ants. (Hee, hee)