Wednesday, 25 November 2015

oh what fun, 25th November 2015

I went to the tip yesterday….. or the landfill, or dump, or whatever you wish to call it… see, my days are just a non-stop rollercoaster thrill-ride……. it’s actually the recycling and waste depot, but there you go……. my mission was to take an uncountable number of old unused magazines for recycling….. and when I say uncountable I mean lots, so don’t ask me to tell you how many because like I say, uncountable……. as many as filled up the boot (‘trunk’ to my US friends) of my estate car completely (and believe me it’s a big boot) and the back seat……. there was one flaw in my strategy though which will become clear…….. I made it there feeling the laden burden pulling me back as I wound the roads up and down  as that’s how they go to get there…….. eventually pulling in and up close to the even huger skip for assorted paper recycling………. around the back of the car I duly opened the hatchback and……. oh yes, you guessed it I was almost buried in a flood of said magazines pouring out in that sound magazines make when in their hundreds hit the floor…. and my feet…. and my legs…….. until…. until there I stood, slightly more than knee deep, in the slightly drizzly rain, in the fading light (it was late in the day), with a few remaining tomes precariously balanced on the edge preparing to take the same leap all the others just did……… to top it off three waste management workers stood staring with that knowing look on their faces……. luckily, taking pity on this middle-aged man in distress they joined me in a ‘retrieving all the magazines of the rain-soaked tarmac party‘…….. oh what fun we had……

No comments: