Tuesday, 3 November 2015

night blog #3: unchained, 3rd November 2015

the artist sketches as fast as he can the road...... unerasing it out of the canvas, the mist, the blank that otherwise I would drive into unmade space...... hurriedly scribbling line of lines barely and little and rarely enough time to shade leaving just a skeleton of a corridor allowing me through......... I have to keep sharp... at this speed what world there appears in an instant... like driving through fine fabric........ once upon a time I'd have been on a bike... a bicycle that is... not now, but back then, back when? back then, way, way back ago I used to cycle everywhere.... not being a driver and all, and in truth the roads were safer than the are now.... I'd especially enjoy my night-rides...... going out at say close to midnight on the near-empty roads and riding around the large town I lived in..... each night I did it I usually chose a new direction, aim, tangle of streets to explore but always find myself on the familiar........ just the lightest sound of my chain whirring and the wheels delicately attuned to the skin of the tarmac........ it's that feeling again and being the only one around... though I wasn't.... I did see the odd shambling pedestrian... and even car...... thought rarely any cyclists.... I flirted with each road I passed fleetingly.... taking the bends at speeds not possible during the day for cutting corners would've been a no-no........ at some point sit up still moving, hand-free unwrap my sandwich and munch my chosen 'midnight' snack.... even when I was in new streets I still knew roughly where I was and always wound up home eventually.... usually just before light........

No comments: