Wednesday, 28 October 2015

the owl is back, 28th October 2015

all is well... my owl is back....... just heard him hoot his distinctive hoot....... I haven't seen nor heard him for a couple of months prompting me to consider the possibility he/ she/ they were gone...... I'm not sure how many I have  close by... one for sure..... two sometimes is certain as I hear their back 'n' forths....... more?... who knows.......... but all is well... and if this is the same pattern as last year then the hooting will be a consoling presence throughout the winter, which suits me just fine........ my garden seems to be self-gardening itself.... as it slowly, surely, inevitably dies back one stem, one leaf, one fruit at a time.... no longer a barrage of green but a woody tangle untangling and wrestling itself exhaustedly to the ground....... I saw some photos of snow yesterday from a couple of years ago here...... I wonder (and hope), if there'll be a flurrification of the white stuff this years whitening this leviathan of a landscape that sweeps from my doorstep over fields and farm house, hedgerows and telegraph poles way and away all the way leaping over the strait and scurrying to the mountains in the further far but not beyond sight horizon......... all is well.... or as well as it can be......... the owl brings for me rare small and the rarest of comfort and I cling as it does to its roosting branch (or should I call it a 'hooting' branch) to its mournful plaintive for a little longer........

No comments: