Monday, 5 October 2015

road/ode, 5th October 2015

up and up and up ever up....... on and on the sound of tyres trusting tarmac to hold them between the narrow rush-green verges that every now and occasional widen into a passing place as the sign confidently signs, "passing place".......... to either side the grass and rock and mountains stretches opening its arms wide, wider, letting the sky flow into the space that beckon me forward hands around the wheel steering my mechanical steer through a big sky and big ground....... peat bog cuttings cut by hand leaving peat stacks stacked in wait for the cutter's return.... whenever that'll be.......... corner of my eye caught a mote against the sky.... moving... an eagle... wings wider than I know them to be but still wider than most distinctively soaring, scoring the clouds wit a lightness of touch not imagined such a powerful bird could do..... it no doubt saw me coming long back and decided I wasn't prey for it's evening supper being too big  rumbling bouncily along this mountain road passing rock after nameless rock.... though I'm sure the rocks know their own names............... expansively expanding either side akin to an eagles wings lighter than air lifting me up, up, up and over the top going down, down, down, weaving the contours and lazily grazing sheep just inches from my car as I pass them unmoving heads down, bums in the air enjoying their endless diet of the finest mountain grasses.......... through this otherworld I leave it eventually behind to get on with whatever it busy's itself with......... out of nowhere enclosed by a wall the smallest of graveyards surrounded by this spacious expanse like it fell from the sky dropped by the eagle...... and then gone as its residents, gone............ down, down, down.... closer to the end than beginning......

No comments: