Monday, 7 September 2015

limbolalia, 7th September 2015

how did I get here?....... cleaning our sewerage drains.......... ramming and rod, unblocking the block....... a job with two distinct faces to it.... one of dread at the start of the prospect of this seemingly insurmountable task.... and the sense of achievement at the (eventual) end when it's all done..... but is it worth going through all that just for that final bow?......... I'm still asking myself............ I could've been a palaeontologist you know.... or that was once upon a time ago anyway......... or even yes, that stereotypical boyhoods dream, become a fireman!....... only because my uncle was one and getting a ride in a fire engine once!........... maybe I could be a skilled and renowned musician by now..... lord knows I've tried on and off over and over over the years but alas alack it hasn't come to pass.... or it has, insofar as passed me by...... a great singer?...... hah! as if.... a heating and ventilating engineer maybe, plying my centrally-heated trade the world over....... and actor!... said with affected accentuation...... treading the boards with name in lights.... but no......... even a champion squash player...... oh yes, I once played and wasn't half-bad......... a juggler!... although I do still juggle, basically anyway.......... a music promoter mogul!........ I might've been a national park warden or 'ranger'.... always loved the title, 'ranger'...... sounds very cool............ an wildlife expert....... (I know a bit but... but.. as usual, nothing lasted in that fickle world)......... head gardener and in-demand designer by the higher echelons.... short-lived and again, passed with barely a whisper......... a chef!........... a well-respected academic with a speciality in religious anthropology!............ I always wanted that skill of picking up languages easily, but... yet more alas, being decidedly linguistically-challenged...... a writer!....... they say everyone has at least one book in them.... hmmm.... I could've been........ but here I am rodding drains.......

No comments: