Thursday, 5 December 2013

three hands and a tick, 5th December 2013

I can see  all of time at once.......... looking at this clock... what I call an analogue clock, one with a face, showing all of time.... very hour and every minute of the day seconds being ticked round and round..... time must be circular and the clock shows this...... digital displays don't, they're just numbers and they only ever tell you what the time is right now... and then now.. and now..... but not all of time, all the time between the now and then times...... a clock needs to have three hands..... this way time is what it is, continuous, as perpetual as it can be, backwards and forwards because I can see where time's been and where it's going...... in the meantime the front of every single newspaper seems to have nothing better to do than obsess over a Nigella Lawson, TV chef and foodie... or you might call 'celebrity'.... that banal term with an increasingly meaningless meaning....... really? I mean, how on earth is this remotely front-page headline important compared to what's happening in the world?........ time will sort it out, because every tick will take me further away from such nonsense........ I bought a 'tickless' clock the other day!..... as in, the second-hand moves round but it doesn't make a sound..... excellent!..... I know sometimes the 'tick' is a comfort, and even a soundtrack to ones day comfortingly chatting away in the background... but when I'm trying to sleep maybe not always.....

No comments: