Thursday, 19 December 2013

sprigs of holly, 19th December 2013

this close to Christmas and it still doesn't bite for me...... I've little feel for its imminent arrival... maybe it's just for children and parents.... and religious people of course of the Cristian persuasion...... and perhaps young students with one 'any excuse for a' party after another..... thinking about it maybe I'm the only one, or one of a handful, who've carelessly fallen through the tinsel.... oops!........ there's a lot I hate about Christmas, vulgar amounts of consumerism, excessive eating just because......... naff festive Muzak everywhere I go!....... I do appreciate the positives though, the coming together, giving and receiving, good will and all that.... even though the latter is rarely sustained beyond Boxing Day, if it gets that far.......... I'm not religious, have no kids, not going to an 'office/ works' Christmas parties....... I do hang some sprigs of holly and even some ivy around the house, and even put together a mini holly tree, the older Christmas tree prior to spruce being commonplace.......... sometimes it feels a bit hollow but on the whole, it's ok...... maybe I don't care?.... or do I?.... hard to say...... never ask me to wear a santa hat with flashing lights, that'll never happen.......... am not grumpy ( I think!), just a bit detached from it all....... receiving an e-card, all good and well but never quite feels the same as that tangible envelope falling through the letter box and thew anticipation of the letter opener............... is it from someone I know? (happy face!)... or, yet another generic empty 'gesture' from a carpet company I think I bought a carpet from years ago (not happy face).......... at least there are mince pies (happy face!)...... I'm not some anti-Santa, merely a tad confused as to where I stand with all this, and what I'm suppose to do...... snow helps, though one thing I can be sure about at this time of year, as mince pies are mince pies, is that you can never be sure it'll snow!

No comments: