Tuesday, 26 November 2013

that aged curse, 26th November 2013

today I let the train take the strain...... across the island over rivers passed fields and lakes, hedgerows and stations a-blur...... through cuttings and tunnels to ford the straits way up high, like flying, but not.......... I hadn't remembered what complete nonsense teenage boys can speak when they're  hanging out, as a group of them were a few seats away from me on the train..... I can't remember a single part of the conversation that had any substance.........  to think I was like that once...... probably still am, talking nonsense......... I find myself at university walking behind people and noticing how they walk, and how so many feet I notice seem to collapse inwards.... all that sitting making their sitting muscles weak and, consequently, their feet fall in on themselves.... more fallen arches that a Roman ruin!...... the curse of age....... never been contented with the age I was at any time, I suppose that may be so for pretty much everyone, whatever that age was, younger or older......... but with age comes great responsibilities...... to wonder why the 'youth of today' rarely wear a coat when it's raining.... why their backpacks are slung halfway down their hips......... maybe attached to their jeans, also half way down....... the good ol' forces of gravity I suppose......... and to 'tut!' "kids!" at every opportunity, then usually follow it with, "it wasn't like that in my day"......... but it was!........... so nothing's changed, and yet everything has apparently.... or has it?.... or hasn't it?.... the head reels with such tortuous rumination.......

No comments: