Friday, 18 October 2013

outside world in, 18th October 2013

I just sat... that's all I did.... wanted to do...... sit, not move, maybe forever.... I worry a lot about how tired I feel sometimes, especially when I try to read for too long, just get tired...... brain-drift.... the sentences just don't flow or stick.... so I sit..... sipping excellent black coffee at a table with a radiator for company..... they even seem to know my name here in this university cafe bistro...... seems I visit a lot then!..... the radiator oozes warmth from carefully-crafted cast iron foils..... solid, simple, reliable....  glancing over it through clear, symmetrical black-leaded windows, over a paved terrace to the far side of a valley in which the town snuggles but now wakes, person by person..... trees photosynthesise and respire, even at this late hour of the year as autumn insists they go to bed til the spring...... the low sun doesn't touch them now, just refuses to reach high enough...... morning coffee, with a view, and a spiders web playing silent vibrato outside the leaded window..... I write, ponder, sip and stare...... the sun clips the clouds that dare show themselves above the diminishing, burnished foliage of the taller trees...... a well-worn blueness...... I have to go in a minute........ back to the library..... to enclose myself in one of the many study booths...... I will be sure to sit by a window to make sure I keep letting the outside world in......

No comments: