Tuesday, 29 October 2013

out loud, 29th October 2013

watched the Transatlantic Sessions last night...... acoustic session musicians from North America, Scotland and Ireland sitting around in a makeshift studio somewhere in the highlands of Scotland sharing folk tunes of all kinds from both sides of the Atlantic....... I cried inside...... what a weird reaction, you may think... me too....... music does that to me sometimes and I have no explanation for it.....  how it digs deep inside to unlock all kinds of things....... seeing what I've given up........ I used to do this and now, don't...... all I have are excuses as to why........ my guitar lays dormant in its case, as it has done for a long time......... when musicians who don't even know each other well get together and play, and all fall into the moment picking up the tune, the song, the words, the rhythm...... that coming together........ it's not about hits, not about money, not about any 'X-factor', not about fame......... it's about music, plain and pure........ the raw energy... what lies within........ and sometimes a tune, a phrasing, a single note catches you unawares and releases something inside, a flood of emotion......... what I've lost, what's gone......... could I find it again?........ more than any therapy music with no intent can touch what's been dead for years and find that last ember still glowing....... and here I am writing this out loud........ I felt tears that haven't been shed for years........ held them back....... maybe I shouldn't.......

No comments: