Wednesday, 9 October 2013

bandage dog, 9th October 2013

the day began with a dog... with a red paw... the paw was actually wrapped in a red bandage, the left one...... I imagine protecting an injury of some kind... it bounded up to me, yes bounded, despite its slightly compensatory gait for the bandage....... happily bounding and smiling....... smiling in the way dogs do, or at least we think they do with their tongues lopping out of their mouth......... the friendliest face I had seen all week........ fitting in isn't easy, or always desirable.... whenever I try it goes horribly wrong, which is why I gave it up ages ago, until now........ when you were at school and teams were picked for some game or other, remember there was always one or two who no one picked for their team and were just allocated to whoever like some booby prize at the end?..........there is something to be said for living in a bubble.... you never have to experience over and over that feeling of not belonging, not fitting......... if you lock yourself away then you never suffer the indignity or grief of such things......... 'tis a double-edged blade, hide and simply disappear bit by bit every day....... or get out there and be trampled underfoot........ the wilderness is a much harsher place to be in a crowd than it is on your own....... I wonder if I'll see that dog again........

No comments: