Monday, 12 June 2017

in belts we trust, 12/June/17

yesterday I was listening to Status Quo pumping from the radio.... "Caroline", if you should know, from which a memory flooded back, embarrassingly-so......

I found myself once again in 5th year at school, probably something like Year 11 in today's money, and in particular the.... (cue dramatic build-up music.... dun-dun-duuuuuuuun!)...... the 'high school disco'...... oh yes folks, I actually attended a few for my sins and what a mixed bag of whatever the dubious tastes of the dubious DJ were spun from the school halls stage...... the very hall where every morning we dreaded and invariably yawned through morning assemblies was transformed on these evenings into disco-central!.......... and yes, if you were lucky the dubious DJ would throw out a tune I actually liked, that me and my friends actually liked, and as by then being all serious rockers when an opening riff from any Status Quo song quarrelled out of the speakers that was it.... that was out cue.... our time..........

or so we thought....... as the floor was vacated by tinsel-draped disco wanna-be's on stomped an uncomfortable shamble of blue denim and significant belt buckles (this is relevant as you'll soon see)......... and so the familiar riff began as we all dutifully lined-up like some secret cabal in ceremonial fashion and as soon as the drums kicked-in the floor was ours.....

and we were off!...... a line of uncontrollable adrenalin bunnies doing....... the belt dance!......... how cool were we!.......... well....... looking back, thank the stars for the delusional drug of 16 year old raging hormones in making one blind to what were no doubt cringing stares from other pupils and teachers alike.......... yes, I know, oh dear oh dear oh dear, what were we thinking........ I was a teenager!... that's my defence anyway......... belt dancing is essentially the rockers version of line-dancing, being in a line while praying to the rocker-gods you miss-time the rhythm with your facing 'partner' and make head-butting contact.... it took nerves of steel....... and stupidity....... and the buckle, which you held onto your own while 'dancing' otherwise you'd flail like an octopus... a two-armed one obviously.....

I'm just lucky that this was pre-YouTube (it was even pre-MTV) as at least I avoided any cringing footage of it haunting me forever....... as it is, maybe we just keep this between me and you..... shh, not a word.......

© robert greig 2017

1 comment:

Martin Kloess said...

There had to be something good