Friday, 9 June 2017

before the after (bloglet), 9/June/17

I can hear the gulls.... check
there's the usual sound of a car or two going past..... check
the jackdaws and rooks and cawing and crucking as usual......... check
there goes a tractor trundling by........ as usual, check
the kettle sounds the same as does the sound of my porridge being stirred and warmed to just that right constituency that only years of spurtling practice can achieve... check, check
the sound of leaves sound, well, just like leaves do, or these leaves anyway....... check
ah yes, that's what I was listening for, the train, phew, well at least there are still trains running..... just a comforting sound.... check


...... you may or may not have guessed but matters not as I'll tell you anyway, this morning is the morning after the night before of the 2017 UK general election and as such it will no doubt be clear what the outcome is by now, this being around 7.30am........ to which I'm still ignorant...... blissfully, I might add......... I have to say this is the first time I've felt quite this apprehensive about knowing...... usually the first thing I do on waking after an election is turn on, tune and feel defiantly Eeyore'ish as the radio voices tell me things I don't want to know, for better and usually for worse.... but this time....... this time......... well, it's hard to explain to anyone not here having gone through what we have this past year or so........... this time I have managed to stave off the inevitable....... I've even managed to dodge it on social media..... I know right!........ wasn't easy but I found squinting to a blur works a treat to click through to safer pages.......... avoiding the radio was easy of course, I didn't turn it on after all..... the TV?..... never figures in the morning so that's even simpler........... bumping into someone who might blurt something?......... not a problem, highly unlikely as I haven't seen anyone and haven't left the relatively safe sanctum of my sleepy hollow of a hovel...........

...... it's the first time I've done this making me feel a little restless but at the same time determined to hold off as long as I can...... it's like christmas morning knowing full well the only thing in the stocking is the core of last years apple...... I have a sneaky suspicion there'll be some good news.... but........ mostly it'll be bad........ call it my Eeyore-radar....... I can feel it in my water, which is probably not something you want to know about.......... anyway........  I could keep writing this all day as this is real-time you're getting of me tap-tap-tapping away on my keyboard and still I have no idea what mess is currently unravelling and unravelled from the election........

.... as I say, the inevitable is inevitably inevitable so I feel it's my civic responsibility to tippy-toe in at the.... let's stick with the shallow end shall we.......... and make a very, very, VERY strong coffee.....

© robert greig 2017

(note: in case it wasn't clear I still don't know the results of the 2017 UK general election......... but I'm about too.......)

1 comment:

Martin Kloess said...

You left off two "very"s. (very, very)