Sunday, 23 October 2016

the other A, 23rd October 2016

  1. impressions
  2. preview
  3. ps
gauze.... shadow.... light..... shadow.... light shadow... shadow... rhythm.... arrythm.... gauze... whispers... repeat after me.... rhythm.... /stop/...... almost.. almost... human almost.... human.... me... almost... me human me.... almost... dislocate dislocate break!... almost... break!.. dance.... /stop/.... count.. one two one two one two three three... three... to ten.... to twenty 1... move light... moving light... un/balance\... phrase [rephrase]... almost almost... almost me... (not quiet).... the other A... move air.... moving air.... __/balance\__....... the other A....... me me.... almost me...... AvAlAnche...... cAcophony..... sounds become becoming become.. me..... cAscAde............... almost...... /stop/... outline (me) filling in the blank....... catch/ release catch/ release..... catch, catch, cAtch, too much...... ||stop||........ the writing's on the .... gauze... shadow... light..... touch/ untouch....... release release reveal!.... almost.... me me ... me.

Speechless, left me speechless, just one man did all that... you didn't see it?...... as only nine people did I'm not surprised... but it didn't leave me wordless... so many left spinning and screaming in my head... superlatives urging my mouth to find a way to say them...... Aakash Odedra, just one man, on stage for over an hour did all that with a body that can bend and twist, resisting gravity in so many startling ways...... his dance "Murmur 2.0" performed among minimal props of shadows and light and ambient sounds and rhythmical phrase a remarkable and exhilarating expression conveying a journey of alienation through his disoriented world of dyslexia... shadow from shape, shape into shadow, light from sound, sound into light...... bridging the distance between words and understanding he contorted his limbs, staccato-expressions, feet of a tabla, writing on air..... we were the lucky ones, few as we were, drawn into this elemental vortex that Aakash created, conveyed and framed as though conjured from dust........ if you ever get a chance to see this remarkable performance or any of his dance company's works then go, go, go!... as I hope he returns to North Wales soon so more than nine can see it this time.

ps........ what's the other A?.... you'll just have to see it to find out........

© robert greig

No comments: