Thursday, 5 May 2016

vex, 5th May 2016

it won't mean much to some who may dip into this blog but today is election day here...... vote!......... of course you can't, unless you live here then you can... and if you do, will you?....... sadly, and irritatingly, some don't.... I suppose that's also democracy, the choice to vote or to not vote (that is the question!... during this years anniversaries of all things shakespeare it seems appropriate to throw a quote of his in every now and then.... or a misquote even!).......... it's vexing to have come this far where every adult is now eligible to have a vote, and yes, a say, that some still can't be arsed...... it's not so much that they don't, it's more the reasoning (or unreasoning?) behind it that vexes me........ from "nothing ever changes" (well it won't if you do nothing) to "can't be bothered"........... on the other hand is voting as we know it here merely a breadcrumb we are thrown every few years to make us thing we are involved and have any real influence over the 'powers that be'?...... double-edged swords at the ready...... but we could debate this til the cows come home and still in the end have to agree to disagree..... I'm off to vote, to scratch my 'x' on the ballot as soon as I've posted this blog.... and no, as ever, I never tell anyone my vote (choice, a wonderful thing)......... even the tiniest opportunity to have a say has to be worth exercising.......... my biggest vex of the day is though I just just heard my favorite local artisan bakery is closing down soon!........ more on this tomorrow, as soon as I've stocked up on goodies from their shop......

No comments: